If you’ve just installed a new air conditioning unit or want to reduce your energy bills, there are ways you can keep your home at a cooler temperature at the lowest price - all while helping you make your home more sustainable.
- Set Your Temperature: In the warmer months set your thermostat to 23-26 degrees, and turn it down to 18-20 degrees when temperatures cool down. Every degree lower or higher can add 10% to your running costs, while you won’t notice the difference your energy bills will.
- Opt for your fan sometimes: the air con fan can be all you need to circulate the cool air in your room, in other times it can be used to circulate hot air that is coming out of your air conditioner.
- Have shading for an outdoor unit: Direct sunlight on your air conditioning unit can make the unit run too hard or too often, this can increase the likelihood of it breaking down. Placement is key, if you have the space try to install it under trees or provide secondary shade through an awning.
- Clean the filter: For optimal running clean out the filter regularly, a clogged filter will impact the functionality of your unit, making it work harder to cool or heat your home.
- Maintain regularly: See your maintenance schedule in the manual, this will help prevent expensive issues and also maintain your air conditioner at optimal levels.
- Only heat or cool occupied areas: If no one is in a room, the energy used to cool or heat that room is going to waste. Room sensors or using timers can help you manage your unit.
- Keep doors & windows closed: this will help keep your spaces cool or heated, as spaces will not lose their temperature due to open drafts.
Brighte is on a mission to make every home sustainable. We can help fund a range of products and services that will help you along your sustainable home journey, including;