As more Aussies turn to the sun to power their homes, it’s essential to know how to keep your panels optimised and generating the most amount of energy.
A properly maintained solar panel and battery system will generate clean reliable energy for many years, more so than a system that hasn’t been properly maintained.
“Since I had it installed the electricity company has been paying me for the pleasure of having me as a customer.” - Lancelot, NSW
Maintenance of your solar battery system:
A properly maintained solar battery system will continue to operate efficiently and effectively. Solar batteries can be maintained by:
- Asking your solar battery installer to install the batteries in an area of your home that is away from direct sunlight.
- If you have flooded lead acid batteries you will need to top up the water, follow your installer's advice on frequency and amount
- Keep an eye on the State of Charge (SoC). If your batteries are not fully charging or draining quickly, it is best to call your installer to do a follow-up inspection.
Brighte Tip: Ask your installer about the amount of maintenance required for each battery type before committing to a battery. For solar panels, here are some more tips on maintaining your solar panel system and optimising your solar panels.
The warranty and maintenance requirements for a solar battery system will vary depending on the specific product and manufacturer, including the length and specific terms and conditions. We’ve outlined some of the key warranty and maintenance information households should be familiar with when buying a solar battery system.
- Look for a minimum 10+ years product warranty
- The warranty should include information on solar panel defects, premature wear and tear and manufacturing issues
- 25+ year power output warranty
- 5-10 year product warranty
10 years with a certain amount of retained minimum capacity, most on the market range from 60-70%
The warranty should clearly spell out how your solar installer will determine an issue, the timeline of how long it should take for them to attend your home, and the next steps if your system needs a replacement or repair, including loss of income.
Wondering what happens when you need a new battery? Check out our article on life and disposal of a battery.
Overall, it is important to carefully consider the warranty and maintenance requirements when purchasing a solar battery system. A well-maintained system can provide many years of reliable service and can help maximize the benefits of solar energy for your sustainable home.